With Trumps election lots of people are looking for ways to restrain the power of the Trump presidency. Silicon Valley billionaire Shervin Pishevar has started a campaign for California to secede from USA. About the time of the republican convention I came to a similar conclusion myself. Too much power and spending authority in Washington DC is creating political divisions and bitterness so great that we need to split up into several countries. I made the map you see here as a draft proposal for the American divorce and shared it on Facebook a few times. I feel a lot of people see the wisdom of decentralizing controversial issues, but they balk or cringe at the idea of splitting up the USA for reasons sentimental, or patriotic, or maybe they just want to always kick ass at the Olympics. For these tender hearts, I have an alternative: soft secession.
Soft secession, as a straw man, is a single amendment to the constitution as follows:
- Powers to regulate guns, gun rights and restrictions, and all laws regarding guns are devolved to the states. Every state inherits all federal law as it is and is free to change in any fashion they choose
- Powers to regulate abortion, abortion rights and restrictions, and all laws regarding abortion rights are devolved to the states. Every state inherits all federal law as it is and is free to change in any fashion they choose.
- Powers to regulate controlled substances (including alcohol, tobacco [a sacred native American herb], and explosives i.e. the rest of BATFE that is not guns) and all laws regarding controlled substances are devolved to the states. Every state inherits all federal law as it is and is free to change in any fashion they choose.
- Powers to regulate education, and all laws regarding education are devolved to the states. Every state inherits all federal law as it is and is free to change in any fashion they choose.
- At ratification of the amendment the Department of Education, the DEA and the ATF are closed down and responsibility for education, alcohol and tobacco tax collection and drug war becomes solely the responsibility of the states. Employees of the agencies are given pensions at some reasonable fraction of their salaries. The office building and other assets ares sold. We can take all their guns and melt them down (getting dangerous guns off the street!) Use the gun steel to make Little Obama and Little Trump Urban Achiever medals and hand them out to promising young people.
The great thing about this approach is it will give immediate relief to people in deep blue states worried about Trump may do. So it has a chance to unite progressives with other people who would like to limit federal power. And for everyone, if you don’t like what your state does after ratification, there are 49 other states to choose from, all with wonderful places to work and live.